Today I thought it would be fun to try a recipe out of the cookbook, A Feast Of Ice & Fire, a cookbook based on the T.V. show Game of Thrones. I got it for Christmas and I’ve been dying to try it. Some of the recipes were a little unusual but I came across a recipe for Lemon Cakes(Sansa’s favorite), and I love, love, love lemon desserts so I gave it a try and it did not disappoint! They are soft and chewy with a wonderful lemony sweetness. The lemon was not too overpowering, and the glaze on top made for a perfect balance.
2 1/2 cups of flour
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
Grated Zest from 2 Lemons
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a large baking sheet
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and granulated sugar.
- Cut in the butter, then add the zest and the whole egg and egg yolks.
- Mix thoroughly adding more flour as needed, until the dough is no longer sticky and can be easily shaped by hand.
- Roll the dough into balls about 1 inch across and place them onto the prepared baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the tops are just slightly golden. Allow the cakes to cool for a minute before moving them to a cooling rack.
- Mix the confectioners sugar and milk to a smooth consistency. Once the cakes have cooled, use a spoon to drizzle the icing over the cookies.
*If the mixture seems too dry, add a little water or lemon juice until the dough comes together ( I used lemon juice to give it even more delicious lemon flavor).